Troubles removing ride plate on a 98 GP1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubles removing ride plate on a 98 GP1200

I finally got my Riva ride plate in (no thanks to Katrina) and went to remove my stock ride plate today on my 98 GP1200 WaveRunner and for some reason - I can't get it off -- the bolts spin like they're stripped but they're not, if that makes any sense. Tried to find the nuts in the bottom of the ski after removing the rear seat but couldn't locate them. :emoticonn Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Troubles removing ride plate on a 98 GP1200

I thought that they would have inserts in their? I am about to take my off in the next day or two. Going to trim 3mm of the mounting posts on the ride plate and see how that goes. (something to try out)

Please let us know how and what you think of your new plate-is it the non-groovy plate?

If no-one has answered your question I will let you know if I have truoble with mine in a day or two.:)

Comment

They have inserts that come unglued or spin in the hull casting.Here is a thread from a while ago that addresses it.

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/sho...+plate+removal
      Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

I saw that thread but it didn't seem to offer a clear solution - I can't find the inserts on the inside of the hull and drilling the head wouldn't help any as the insert is from the inside of the hull with only a small bolt size hole in the actual fiberglass.

Comment

Ah - took the muffler out and there the inserts are :emoticonc right beneath it - with a little help I could have knocked this out in 20-25 minutes but I didn't have anybody to hold the vice grips. Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Good news then! Let us know what you think of the new plate?

Comment

I don't know where to look on the '98, but they should be there somewhere under the exhaust.

I did the same thing on my '00 R ... man what a pain in the butt.

Take a look on Riva's site ... they sell a "dogbone" mount which is basically 2 ride plate nuts welded together with a bar. When I did my R the flimsy hull wells were totally ripped up so I had to grind them out a bit and I epoxyed the dogbone brackets in and it works well.
              James
              1997 gp1200
              2000 gp1200r

Comment

Had same problem when my 98 was new. Even after I repaired it, it always leaked water from there. Couldnt let the ski sit in the water overnight, thats for sure. Make sure you seal it.

Jeff

Comment

How are you going with your ride plate Joe, got it all sorted?.................................been out with it yet?

Comment

not yet - water down here is still pretty nasty b/c of the hurricane - with a little luck I'll get it out this weekend though :o

Comment

Working...
                    X